Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting LLC
- Alameda County Office of Education, CA - 2021 - $30,000 for Equity Impact Planning Download
- Alameda County Office of Education, CA - 2020 - $52,500 for Equity Coaching Download
- Alameda County Office of Education, CA - 2018 - $2,500 for Capacity Building and Needs Assessment Download
- Alameda County Office of Education, CA - 2018 - $28,750 for Contract Amended: Capacity Building and Needs Assessment Download
- Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District, CA - 2021 - $4,000 for Educational and Racial Equity Workshop Series Download
- Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District, CA - 2019 - $2,500 for Equity Leadership Download
- Folsom-Cordova Unified School District, CA - 2021 - $1,500 for Equity Sessions Download
- Hemet Unified School District, CA - 2020 - $1,500 for Keynote Speech Download
- Moreno Valley Unified School District, CA - 2020 -$210,000 for Equity Walks and Coaching Download
- Moreno Valley Unified School District, CA - 2019 - $54,000 for Equity Walks Download
- Mt. Diablo Unified School District, CA - 2021 - $8,000 for Governance Team Workshop Series and Consulting Download
- San Diego County School District, CA - 2020 - $36,000 for Workshop Sessions Download
- San Diego County School District, CA - 2018 - $10,000 for Professional Learning Download
- Vacaville Unified School District, CA - 2019-2021 - $40,500 for Services including 'Equity Leadership Training' Download
- 2020-2021 - Alameda County Office of Education, $30,000
- 2019-2020 - Alameda County Office of Education, $52,500
- 2018-2019 - Alameda County Office of Education, $28,750
- 2021 - Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District, $4,000
- 2019 - Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District, $2,500
- 2021 - Folsom- Cordova Unified School District, $1,500
- 2020 - Hemet Unified School District, $1,500
- ABC Unified School District
- Adelanto Elementary School District
- Albany Unified School District
- Anaheim Elementary School District
- Bakersfield City Unified School District
- California Department Of Education
- Central Union School District
- Del Norte County School District
- Elk Grove Unified School District
- EQ Schools
- Evergreen Unified School District
- Fall River Unified School District
- Fresno Unified School District
- Hacienda La Puente Unified School District
- Highlands Community Charter Schools
- Humboldt County Office Of Education
- Jefferson Union High School District
- Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Lynwood Unified School District
- Manteca Unified School District
- Monterey Peninsula Unified School District
- 4/1/2021 - Mt. Diablo Unified School District, $8,000
- 9/9/2020 - Moreno Valley Unified School District, $210,000
- 12/17/2019 - Moreno Valley Unified School District, $54,000
- Murrieta Valley Unified School District
- Napa Valley Unified School District
- Natomas Unified School District
- Pacific Collegiate Charter School
- Pittsburg Unified School District
- Rialto Unified School District
- Riverbank Unified School District
- Salinas City School District
- Salinas Union High School District
- San Bernardino County Office Of Education
- 8/13/2020 - San Diego County Office Of Education, $36,000
- 7/1/2018 - San Diego County Office Of Education, $10,000
- San Diego Unified School District
- San Luis Obispo County Office Of Education
- San Mateo School District
- Santa Clara County Office Of Education
- Sausalito-Marin School District
- Solano County Office Of Education
- Stockton Unified School District
- Sunnyvale School District
- 2021 - Vacaville Unified School District, $24,000
- 2020 - Vacaville Unified School District, $12,000
- 2019 - Vacaville Unified School District, $4,500
- Vallejo Unified School District
- Victor Valley Union High School District
- Vista Unified School District
- Washington Unified School District
- Yolo County Office of Education
- Lewisville Independent School District
What is Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting LLC?
For four years, Nicole Anderson, a former elementary school teacher in Vallejo, Ca., zipped around the state of California as a trainer for the Association of California School Administrators.
In February 2020, Anderson registered Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting LLC as a limited liability company with the California Secretary of State, listing herself as the chief executive officer, based in Vallejo.
In 2018, she opened her own shop, Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting, L.L.C. to “deliver a unique systemic approach to providing professional development services” to educators. Today, she sells her services across the state. Her LinkedIn profile says she is also a consultant with Epoch Education Inc., McPherson and Jacobson L.L.C., an executive recruitment firm, and a consultant for the California School Boards Association.
In her online resume, she says she is also a business owner with Bethel Educational Solutions and Equity Now and Associates, and she is also a consultant with Generation Ready and Footsteps to Brilliance.
In her resume, she says she works with national organizations and partners to “develop equity leadership programs and services,” including the National Alliance of Black School Educators, NASS (the national superintendent’s association), Generation Ready and Community Responsive Education.
Calling herself an “Educational and Racial Equity Consultant,” she says on her website that her company is “successfully serving school sites, districts, county offices, school boards, superintendent search firms, and associations in addition to multiple sectors across the nation.”
For example, the Winters Express reported that on Tuesday, June 3, 2021, the Board of Trustees of the Winters Joint Unified School District in Winters, Ca., approved using funds from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, or CARES ACT, passed in March 2020 for a one-year, $34,000 contract for the 2021-22 school year for “interactive equity training workshops.”
The Winters Express reported: “The contract proposal submitted by Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting (NAAC), stated, ‘In order to close racial equity gaps seen in schools, it is essential that educational leaders build capacity and shift the paradigm of a school system that was not designed to yield successful outcomes for all students.’”
The contract reportedly includes six in-person training days between July 29, 2021, and April 28, 2022.
Board President Carrie Green released a statement about the contract, stating, “When I came on the board almost seven years ago our student data hasn’t changed much. Our percentages have remained consistent – about 30 – 40 percent of our students being at or slightly above grade level proficient in reading and math. And that’s district wide,” Green said. “I think that we can all agree that as a community having 60 – 70 percent of our kids being one or more grade levels behind is not OK.”
Trustee Joedy Michael told the board he was excited to do this, “especially coming off some of the testing data suggests that we have some gaps that we need to evaluate.”
The Board approved the one-year contract with a 4-0-1 vote (Trustee Candi Ochoa was absent).
What services does Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting LLC offer?
The company website states about Nicole Anderson’s work, “She locked arms with researchers, practitioners and experts in the field to deliver a unique systemic approach to providing professional development services that serve the needs of educators around the state of California and nation. Ultimately, she and her team strive to build the capacity of educational leaders in order to close educational equity gaps seen in the school system.”
- “Executive Leadership Coaching”
- “School Superintendent Search Services”
- “School site Leadership /Principal coaching”
- “School board workshops/coaching”
- ”Professional learning (workshops, retreats, keynotes, conferences, etc.)”
- “Virtual coaching, workshops, conferences”
- “Equity visits/walks/audits”
- “Book Studies”
- “Strategic planning for systems change”
- “Organizational development”
- “Equity Task Force Facilitation”
- “City Government support”
- “Police Department support”
- “Non-Profit Support”
- “Equity Impact Action Plans”
- “Equity resources, research/data”
- “Online equity modules”
- “Action plan templates, frameworks, assessments”
What K-12 work has Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting LLC done?
On its website and publicity material and Anderson’s professional resume, Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting promotes dozens of school districts where it says it has done work. Several school districts said they did not have documentation of contracts with the company in response to public records requests. Parents Defending Education is contacting Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting and the school districts for clarification.
Alameda County Office of Education
Alameda County Office of Education signed an agreement for $30,000 for the 2020-2021 school year for “L&A Division Capacity Building/Strategic Planning.” The contract included “equity impact planning” with five days of meetings, including one half-day session per month. The program included teaching “cultural proficiency, equity leadership planning, implicit bias/institutional racism.”
It also included “equity leadership coaching” for five days, with meetings two half days per month.
Alameda County Office of Education_signed an agreement on Sept. 16, 2019, for $52,500 for the 2019-2020 school year. The agreement included: “L&A Division Meeting PD,” “PD/Training,” “Equity Advisory Team Coaching,” “Executive Leadership Coaching.”
It was billed at 21 days at a rate of $2,500 per day. The work also included: “equity action planning,” “data driven equity work” and “equity leadership” training.
On Oct. 17, 2018, Alameda County Office of Education signed an agreement with Panorama for $2,500.
On Dec. 5, 2018, Alameda County Office of Education signed an amended agreement, increasing the amount to $28,750 for October-December 2018 thorough June 2019.
On Oct. 16, 2018, Alameda County Office of Education signed an agreement with Panorama Alameda for $28,750 for a “Purchase Order.”The contract included “Capacity Building,” “Needs Assessment,” “Awareness, Coaching/Capacity Building.” It included a one-half-day professional development session on Oct. 17, 2018, 10 days of “planning/coaching/capacity building” and three-and-one-half-days of professional development sessions.
Albany Unified School District
On April 28, 2020, the Albany Unified School District agreed to pay Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting, LLC $4,500 for “Board Governance Workshop Series/Coaching/Action Planning.”
California School Boards Association
The California School Boards Association charges $3,000 for a year-long training program, “CSBA Equity Network Training,” for superintendents and school board members, with year one teaching “Governance with an Equity Lens: A Systemic Approach to Closing Equity Gaps in Public Education.” The facilitators are Nicole Anderson and Deborah Keys Write, founder of The Write Keys 2 Consulting, LLC. They teach how to “define equity through data and student stories.”
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
The school district hired Anderson for $4,000 from March-June 2021 for a program, “Educational and Racial Equity Workshop Series” at Matt Garcia Career and College Academy.
The purpose was to “build capacity of administrators, teachers, staff in leading for equity…as well as develop the equity action plan through collaboration and coaching.”
Some topics included “develop an awareness of common language, define equity”, “recognize the barriers to equity and cultural proficiency (e.g. implicit bias, stereotypes, microaggressions, institutional racism)”, “reflect on the role of educators in perpetuating or ending educational gaps”, “strategically develop an equity statement to support the development of common language…and applying equity to school policies and practices…to address equity gaps”.
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District signed an agreement on Feb. 1, 2019 for $2,500 for work from March 2019 through June 2019 with the following activities:
- Program: “Equity Leadership”
- 1-½ days (three half-days) in Phase 1 and Phase 2
- “6 Phases of Equity Leadership”
- “Deepen Belief Systems: Reflect upon one’s own social-cultural identity including beliefs and biases…”
- “Understand Diversity: Seek to understand and value other cultures through storytelling and relationship building in order to expand equity lens…”
- “Empower Oneself: Become familiar with research based strategies, language, and concepts to deepen awareness…to interrupt inequities…”
- “Be Proactive and Responsive: Develop an equity plan” and examine current policy.
- “Serve Diverse Needs of the Community” and implement the plan.
- “Close Equity Gaps” and monitor and adjust plan as needs evolve
Folsom-Cordova Unified School District
Folsom Cordova Unified School District signed a contract on April 9, 2018, to pay Nicole Anderson $1,500 to develop a “Classified PD Day – 4/2/18; Equity Session Facilitation.”
Hemet High/ Unified School District
Hemet Unified School District agreed to pay Nicole Anderson $1,500 for a “Keynote Speech.”
Manteca Unified School District, California
The school district agreed to pay Nicole Anderson for four years of work from 2020 through 2024.
The school district signed a contract to pay $320,000 for four school years (2020-2024)
- Year 1: $30,000
- Year 2: $78,000
- Year 3: $110,000
- Year 4: $102,000
The service included:
- “Executive Leadership Coaching: Years 1-4”
- “Governance Support Team: Years 1-4”
- “District Keynote/Kick Off Events: Years 2, 4”
- “Equity Leadership Institute: Years 2-4”
- “Executive/Extended Cabinet Equity Leadership Workshops: Years 1-4”
- “Equity Task Force Development/Facilitation: Years 1-4”
- “Principal/Site Leadership Coaching: Years 2-4”
- “Equity Walks: Years 3-4”
- “Community/Student Forum Facilitation: Years 1-2”
Moreno Valley Unified School District, California
On Sept. 9, 2020, Moreno Valley Unified School District agreed to pay Nicole Anderson $210,000.
Morena Valley Unified School District_signed an agreement on Dec. 17, 2019, to pay Nicole Anderson 2019_$54,000 for “equity walks” from Dec. 18, 2019, through June 30, 2020.
Mt. Diablo Unified School District, California
On April 1, 2021, Mt. Diablo Unified School District in California paid Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting, LLC, $8,000 for three-hour sessions to be held in Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Winter 2022 and Spring 2022 for a “Governance Team Workshop Series and Coaching.”
San Diego County Office Of Education, California
On July 1, 2018, the school district signed a contract with Nicole Anderson for her to provide “expert knowledge and research literature to County and Kern County Superintendent of Schools Equity Grant and Leadership Team,” as well as “consultation centered around the dates for the Equity Launch, Institutes and Convenings.”
On Aug. 13, 2020, San Diego County School District signed a consultant agreement to pay Nicole Anderson $36,000 for services.
The “Scope of Services” provision of the contract describes services provided as being “designed for the Systems of Support department to engage in safe space to strategically learn, collaborate, and plan for equity leadership with a systemic lens. This service will be offered in the form of multiple workshop sessions to foster opportunities for the department team to build capacity and common vision to lead for equity through awareness of the following concepts and focus areas:
- “Understanding the historical impact and purpose of education”
- “Reflecting on the role of educators…in interrupting inequities in schools throughout the country”
- “Making connections to concepts of equity and our work”
- “Introduction to strategic collaboration, planning, and application for systemic change”
Stockton Unified School District
Vacaville Unified School District, California
The school district signed three contracts with Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting for a total bill of $40,500. They are in the document above.
Contract (p. 1) and Invoice (p. 1), $4,500, from Feb. 1, 2019, through June 30, 2019.
The contract included:
- “Provide professional development services focused on building capacity of the equity leadership team to impact for change in closing educational equity gaps. Services include training sessions and a retreat.”
- “Facilitate professional development for site leadership, teachers, and staff in the form of workshops, coaching, and equity walks.”
- Includes Assessing Equity Leadership Capacity/Strategic Planning, Equity Leadership Overview, Equity Leadership Development (6 half-days x $2,000/day for $6,000 total), Differentiated Capacity Building (3 days x $2,000/day for $6,000 total), Technical Assistance, and Equity Action Plan Evaluation. Items without cost are “complimentary”. See proposal (p. 9-10) for more details.
- “Equity Task Force facilitation & training for staff to include Community/Student forum/listening session facilitation, Equity Leadership workshops, Equity Workshop Series.”
- Includes Community/Student Forum Listening Session Facilitation, Equity Leadership workshop Cabinet Members, Equity Task Force Facilitation (3 days x $3,000/day for $9,000 total), Vacaville High Principal/Staff/Equity Team Support ($3,000), Governance Team Workshops ($3,000), Equity Walks ($3,000), and Equity Institute Workshop Series ($3,000). Items without cost are “complimentary”. See proposal (p. 9-10) for more details.
Contract (p. 14) and Invoice (p. 4), $24,000, 9/1/20-6/30/21
Contract (p. 5) and Invoice (p. 2), $12,000, 8/13/19-6/30/20
Lewisville Independent School District
According to a Lewisville Independent School District Check Register, the school district paid $4,000 to Nicole Anderson Consulting between Sept. 1, 2020, through Sept. 30, 2020, according to record No. 418860.