It’s back to school time! We know you have a back-to-school checklist for supplies and forms, but do you have one for advocating for your rights in your child’s education?
We’ve put together this handy back to school checklist for all the things we’re doing here at PDE as our kids go back to school:
- Review your district’s “Students Rights and Responsibilities” or “Code of Conduct” handbook. Have questions about the content? Reach out to your school.
- Find your opt out forms for Surveys and SEL. Don’t know where to start, go here!
- Get familiar with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. FERPA allows you to review your child’s official student record to ensure these important records are accurate. Make an appointment with your school to review these records today!
- Know your rights! Review the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment here! The PPRA allows you to opt out of invasive surveys and allows you to review curriculum.
- If you haven’t already, find a parent group to join or re-connect with.
- Find out who it is that you send Public Records Requests to at your school district.
- Questions for your district:
- Plan to Volunteer! The best way to know what is happening in your school is to be IN your school! Get to know your child’s teachers and administration and they appreciate your help. Check with your school to determine the process to volunteer. Your kids will love seeing you at their school.
Find a printable version of this list here:
Happy back to school!