Parents Defending Education submitted a public records request to the Maize Unified School District requesting any policies or guidance the district has regarding transgender issues. PDE received a document back from the district titled “Gender Identity / Expression Support Plan.” The support plan states:
School staff will work with students and parents/guardians to ensure the safety, comfort, and healthy development of our students whose gender identities are not cisgender. This Gender Identity / Expression Support Plan is available to aid in providing a gender-affirming school atmosphere.
The plan asks for the “preferred name” of students and the gender students use to identify. However, the next part of the plan appears to show that parents can be left in the dark regarding the gender identity of their children. This next section of the support plan is labeled “Parent/Guardian Involvement.” The following questions are asked in this section:
- Are guardian(s) of this student aware of their child’s gender identity?
- Are guardian(s) supportive of their child’s gender identity?
- If not, what considerations must be accounted for in implementing this plan?
Students are also asked the following questions:
- How long have you known your gender identity does not match the identity assigned at birth?
- What is your preferred name?
- Which pronoun do you prefer to be used when addressed?