Follow the Money
- 6/15/2021 - Grand Rapids Public Schools, $70,000
- 5/15/2021 - Grand Rapids, $7,000
What is The Scholar First LLC?
On May 12, 2021, a career education official, Tammy Campbell, registered The Scholar First, LLC, based in Benton, Louisiana, with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
What services does Scholar First LLC provide?
The Scholar First uses “Equity as the Foundation” as its slogan. The services promoted include:
- “Coaching” with “support for superintendents senior leadership, and administrators with a desire to implement structural systemic change and a model for equity that’s built to last.”
- “Professional Development Focused on Leaderships,” with “Strategic learning opportunities for leaders in your school district, including principals and district leaders focused on embedding equity throughout the culture.”
- “Board and Superintendent Retreats,” with “Focused work on what Equity looks like at the policy level and how effective boards lead for equity.”
What K-12 work has The Scholar First LLC done?
Grand Rapids Public Schools
On May 15, 2021, Grand Rapids Public Schools signed a “letter of agreement” with Campbell and The Scholar First LLC to pay her $7,000 to facilitate a three-hour interactive, “practice-based learning lab” virtually for “District Leaders, Coaches, Building Leaders, Cabinet and Leadership Teams” on June 10, 2021.
On June 16, 2021, Grand Rapids Public Schools signed another “letter of agreement” with Campbell and The Scholar First LLC to pay her between $80,000 for services over the school year.
The agreement said: “The vendor agrees to prepare and facilitate leadership sessions with District staff for the period Beginning July 1, 2021 and ended on or before June 30, 2022.”
In response to a public records request, the school district also provided the proposal that Campbell provided, entitled, “Systems Design for Equity.”