The Harlandale Independent School District works with Panorama Education to provide students with surveys “to capture the voices of our students.” The district has a document titled “Teacher Incentive Allotment Manual” for the 2021-2022 school year. The document explains that “student surveys give invaluable insights, give students an opportunity to have their voice heard, and can be shared to inform decisions.” Surveys are given to students from the third grade through the twelfth grade. The document provides the following topics that are included in the surveys:
- Classroom Climate – Perceptions of the overall social and learning climate in the classroom.
- Classroom Rigorous Expectations – How much students feel that a specific teacher holds them to high expectations around effort, understanding, persistence, and performance in class.
- Classroom Engagement – How attentive and invested students are in class.
- Pedagogical Effectiveness – Perceptions of the quality of teaching and amount of learning students experience from a particular teacher.
- Classroom Teacher-Student Relationships – How strong the social connection is between teachers and students within and beyond the classroom.
Panorama Education Inc. is an organization known for helping schools throughout the country survey the race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and gender identity of students in an effort to push “equity and inclusion” in school systems. The organization offers an “Equity and Inclusion Survey” to “help schools and districts track the progress of equity initiatives through the lens of students and staff, identify areas for celebration and improvement, inform professional development, and signal the importance of equity and inclusion to the community.”