Fort Collins High School provides survey to students asking for their “preferred pronouns” and “household income” without parental consent
- Parent Rights
Concerned community members reported a survey given to students in an art class at Fort Collins High School in Colorado to Parents Defending Education. The survey states: “Because you are a student at FCHS you have been chosen to participate in a study to research demographics of FCHS students.” The survey explains that “individual information will not be reported in any way” but the “results of the study analyzed statistically based on the responses from groups of students will be reported.” PDE was told that parents received no prior notification of the survey or an option to opt out.
The survey asks students personal questions, such as their “preferred pronouns,” “sex assigned at birth,” “sexual orientation,” “race,” and “household income.” The following questions were asked in the survey provided to PDE:
- What are your preferred pronouns?
- What is your sex assigned at birth?
- What is your sexual orientation?
- What is your race?
- How much stress do you feel on a day to day basis?
- Do you suffer from a physical ailment (chronic pain, malnourishment, trouble breathing etc.)
- Do you have any symptoms of the following?
- Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar disorder, OCD, ADHD, Insomnia, Other
- Are you going through any big life changes at the moment?
- Do you feel fulfilled in life?
- Do you suffer from addiction or have had problems with substance abuse?
- On a scale of one to ten, how positive is your family life?
- What is your guardian #1 education level?
- What is your guardian #2 education level?
- What is your household income?
- How many advanced classes are you taking?
- What is your GPA?
- How do you identify politically?
- On a scale from 1-10 how insecure are you?